Business Administration Major
Learning Goals and Objectives
Students completing this major will:
- Develop a basic understanding of the fundamentals in three business disciplines.
- Tailor a program of study among related, but independent disciplines, providing a wider view of an organization.
- Develop an understanding interpersonal and business issues associated with three different business subject areas.
- If you want to launch a career in business, the Business Administration (BSA) major offers flexibility and choice. As a BSA major (no minor available) we provide you with the theory, tools and practical knowledge required for functioning within a general business environment. The major is for day HSB students interested in a general business degree at Saint Joseph’s University and addresses the needs of students wanting to major in Business without specializing. Your course of study can be tailored to your interests as you choose two courses from any three of the seven departments in HSB for a total of six courses. You may only double major or minor in College of Arts and Sciences majors and minors if you declare a Business Administration major.
The traditional undergraduate programs include 40 courses distributed across three components: A General Education component divided into Signature Courses, Variable Courses, and an Integrative Learning requirement; a Major and Divisional component; and Free Electives. In addition to course requirements as specified in each area, students must complete one certified course in each of the following overlay areas:
- Diversity, Globalization or Non-western Area Studies,
- Ethics Intensive, and
- Writing Intensive. Overlay requirements are part of the forty-course requirement.
General Education Signature Courses
See this page about Signature courses. Six courses
General Education Variable Courses
See this page about Variable courses. Six to Nine courses
General Education Integrative Learning Component
See this page about Integrative Learning Component. Three courses
NOTE: In no case may an ILC course be double counted towards completing other requirements of the Business Administration major.
- Check the current Academic Catalog for any pre-requisites to the courses. You are responsible to complete any necessary pre-requisites.
- Check the Course Schedule for overlays as many ILCs are approved overlay courses.
- Check with the appropriate department for course scheduling as not all courses are offered every semester.
|ECN 102||Introductory Economics Macro||3|
|Select two from the following areas:||6|
|Economics of Labor|
|The Economics of Healthcare|
|Modern Economic Systems|
|Ecn. of Multinatnl Enterprises|
|Ethical Values & the Marktplce|
|Ecns of Poverty & Income Dist|
|Ecns of Migration & Immigratn|
|Public Speaking & Presentation|
|Writing for Organizations|
|Nature Writing in America|
|Environ Theory & Ethics Sem|
|Interdisciplinary Health Services Courses|
|Food and Justice|
|Philosophy of Sports|
|Intro to American Politics|
|Intro to Comparative Politics|
|Introduction to Global Politcs|
|Intro to Political Thought|
|American Political Institution|
|Advising the Presidency|
|Const Law:Rights & Civil Lib|
|Women and American Politics|
|Race & Ethnic Politics in U.S.|
|Environmental Politics in Am|
|Latin American Politics|
|Politics of Japan|
|Asian Democ at the Crossroads|
|Democracy:Perspect. from Rome|
|Ethics in Interntionl Affairs|
|Women, Gender & World Politics|
|Psychology of Men and Women|
|Psychology of Gender|
|Intro to Sociology|
|Ethnic & Minority Relations|
|Sociology of Gender|
|Classical Sociological Theory|
|Race and Social Justice|
|White Collar Crime|
|Fair Trade:Coffee-Co-Op to Cup|
|Classes and Power in US|
|Law and Social Policy|
|Poverty, Ethics & Soc.Policy|
|Consumr Cult & Globl Perspctve|
|Phila: In Black and White|
Ten courses, including:
|ACC 101||Concepts: Financial Accounting||3|
|ACC 102||Managerial Accounting||3|
|DSS 200||Intro to Information Systems||3|
|DSS 210||Business Statistics||3|
|DSS 220||Business Analytics||3|
|FIN 200||Intro to Finance||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Essent'ls of Organzational Beh|
|Essentials of Management|
|Organizations in Perspc Honors (University Honors students only)|
|MGT 361||Introduction to Law Honors (University Honors students only)||3|
|or MGT 360||Legal Environment of Business|
|MKT 201||Principles of Marketing||3|
|BUS 495||Business Policy||4|
Two upper division courses from three different departments, choosing among the Departments of:
- Decision and System Sciences
- Food Marketing
- Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing.
These courses must be in addition to any course that is part of the Business core and must be in three different departments, not majors. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of this degree, students majoring in Business Administration can NOT double major or minor within the Haub School of Business. A double major or minor in the College of Arts and Sciences would be permitted, with appropriate permissions from the College of Arts and Sciences.
See course descriptions for prerequisites